Medieval city center

Medieval city center

Around 1250 Gangelt was provided with a city fortification. In 1400, the city fortification had a city wall with four city gates, of which three are preserved: The Heinsberger, the basement of the castle tower (this was also a city gate), and the Bruchtor. Remains of the city wall with smaller towers are preserved near the Heinsberger gate.

Burgundians destroyed the fortifications in 1543, which were then rebuilt and reinforced. The castle was demolished in 1791 except for the preserved keep. During the Second World War, fighting continued to damage the historic center. In the 1980s, then extensive restoration work took place.